University Crest

[wlug] hoiho moving - service disruption

Matthew Browne (DSL HN) MatthewBr@d...
Tue Nov 29 10:49:32 NZDT 2005

> From: Craig Box [mailto:craig@d...]
>
> http://www.orcon.net.nz/images/international_traffic.gif
>
> You were saying? ;)
>
> They now (very rightfully) deprioritise P2P.

I was taking that into account actually, they still aren't quite up to
IHUG in terms of latency but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
I suspect IHUG already deprioritised P2P which would seem true if you
try and use port 6881 for anything ;) Before Orcon started doing that
they were having delays of up to 6000ms at peak times hitting overseas
servers. It was virtually unusable for any real time applications (i.e.
like gaming). Thankfully things have improved a lot now and the
difference is slight.

Matt