University Crest

[wlug] sudo and writing to /var/log

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Wed Nov 30 15:33:15 NZDT 2005

>You would think (or at least, I do) that something like "sudo rsync
>options source destination >> /var/log/logfile" would NOT give you a
>permission denied error. Similarly with "sudo date > /var/log/logfile".
>But you would be dead wrong.
>
>Running the entire script with sudo (ie, sudo b.netbackup) will work
>fine, as will running it from a hash prompt.

That's all correct :)

>Anyone got any ideas why I can't write to a log file using sudo?
>Hopefully it isn't something really obvious that will demonstrate my
>fundamental lack of understanding of how Linux works..

It may not demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding, but it is a
fairly fundamental point.

If I run the command "sudo date > /var/log/logfile", then only 'data' is
run within the sudo command. The output redirection to /var/log/logfile
is executed within the current bash process - running as the user.

All is not lost - run the command AND the redirection from within the
sudo command:

sudo /bin/bash -c " date > /var/log/logfile"      will tell sudo to run
bash, and have bash execute the command (or shell snippet) contained
inside the following string.