University Crest

[wlug] device order

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald@j...
Tue Aug 1 06:42:14 NZST 2006

On 7/31/06, zcat <zcat@w...> wrote:

> > You can find this at http://wlug.org.nz/UDev which has links to a
> > number of websites.
> >

> Thanks, I seem to have it figured out now and added my experience to the
> wiki. Hopefully I can get Verne's system sorted out tomorrow.
>
> > One little tip - what I would do is name the devices (using udev)
> > something like /dev/soundev1, /dev/soundev2 or similar rather than
> > variations on dsp as it seems like you can't lock down a pre-existing
> > name.
> You can, you just have to be sure you handle all possible devices
> uniquely so the kernel never gets a chance to put something else there
> first. Renaming the devices is probably safer but Verne's scrips all
> refer to /dev/dspX and he doesn't want to have to change them!
>
> >  For example my ethernet cards are lan0, lan1 which are locked
> > down and eth0/1 randomly change.
> >

> That's what most of the documentation suggests.. but I think swapping
> them would have worked in your case too.

I suspect why yours worked is that you renamed from dsp* to dsp so if
there was a conflict it went away by doing that. I tried doing similar
but I was naming eth0 rather than eth. I should try experimenting some
more...

I do think udev could be improved though. How hard would it be for
udev to do "I will  give existing devices their name they have used
previously and then set up names for new devices"

Ian
--
Ian McDonald
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4