University Crest

[wlug] device order

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald@j...
Tue Aug 1 11:46:06 NZST 2006

> As I understand it, this is less than trivial. For example, say you have two
> usb sticks. if you swap them to different ports can you really expect udev to
> still be able to identify them uniqely? Many devices have no way of doing
> this that is consistent. If you attempt to create a method to implement this,
> it very quickly becomes a messy black art type situation, where guesswork is
> as useful as good programming.

Understand what you are saying there. The problem Bruce and I and
others are having is that cards inside a PC that doesn't move keep on
changing device names...

Linux (udev really) needs to get it's s*** together here! It's no fun
when your server stops working because two ethernet cards decided to
swap device names.
--
Ian McDonald
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4