University Crest

[wlug] device order

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Tue Aug 1 11:49:32 NZST 2006

> As I understand it, this is less than trivial. For example, say you have two
> usb sticks. if you swap them to different ports can you really expect udev to
> still be able to identify them uniqely? Many devices have no way of doing
> this that is consistent. If you attempt to create a method to implement this,
> it very quickly becomes a messy black art type situation, where guesswork is
> as useful as good programming.

In the case of USB sticks, it's trivial for a couple of reasons:

First of all, all USB devices have a unique serial number. This means
you can canonically identify a particular USB stick, regardless of
filesystem, and create a udev rule to mount it or name it something.

Secondly, the filesystem within the device will have a GUID, which can
be used to identify that particular filesystem. If you format the
filesystem the GUID will change, but assuming that doesn't happen, you
can still write a udev rule to specify where to mount the device.

Unfortunately you picked a bad example :)