University Crest

[wlug] device order

Glenn Enright elinar@i...
Tue Aug 1 16:49:10 NZST 2006

Ian McDonald wrote:
>>> Understand what you are saying there. The problem Bruce and I and
>>> others are having is that cards inside a PC that doesn't move keep on
>>> changing device names...
>>>
> > Fair enough. Can you think of a method to handle asyncronous device
> > detection in a syncronous fashion?
>
> Easy - look in a database to see if it has previously been assigned.

Ok so I get this better now. Essentially every system as it is installed
should generate a custom database of devices and names, so that when new ones
are installed they are given new unique dev names. I guess unidentifiable
devices could be handled as a special case and default to the old behavior
with a reserved subset of dev names.

Taking this furthur, it would be unlikely for a system to generate an overly
large udev ruleset, even over time, unless it was a bit unusual? As udev is
pretty much userspace, this should be easier to implement than supplying
general case solutions.

One problem I can see is that applications would have to use these unique
entries, potentially different on each system?

--
BOFH excuse #324:

Your packets were eaten by the terminator