University Crest

[wlug] device order

zcat zcat@w...
Wed Aug 2 10:03:59 NZST 2006

> Does this actually happen?  What I've seen is Linux assigns things based on
> something like PCI order, which is likely not to change unless you move
> cards around

I managed to find a number of threads discussing system sound and USB
handset being detected in the wrong order. It might not be particularly
common but it certainly is happening. With Verne's machine onboard
sound, USB transmitter and PCI cards managed to appear in three
different arrangements on three consecutive reboots. Like Ian says, it's
a race condition.