University Crest

[wlug] DVD woes!!

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Sun Aug 6 18:39:02 NZST 2006

>                        The device works and will read most
> media including mpegs but stalls on dvd for some reason. I
> wonder if there is a totem setting that I should have done
> or some simple script that I have failed to issue
>                        Any ideas would be most welcome.
> Regards  John
If the following error dump is still accurate, it seems to me as though
your /dev/dvd symlink is setup incorrectly. The errors below say that
libdvdread is trying to open /dev/hda4, which is a partition on your
harddisk.

Can you please do the following and mail the results back to the list?

ls -la /dev/dvd

dmesg | grep -i dvd

If you inspect the output from that second command, it should (but may
not) have a device name such as "hdd" or "sdb" or simmilar. EG, mine
looks like:

 dmesg | grep -i dvd
[17179573.948000] hdd: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
[17179574.096000] hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2000kB
Cache, UDMA(66)

So my DVD drive is on hdd. If you have similar output and can see which
device ID it has been given, please do the following as well. replace
'hdd' with the device name of your dvd drive.

ls -la /dev/hdd