University Crest

[wlug] Intel opensources graphics drivers

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald@j...
Thu Aug 10 13:24:49 NZST 2006

On 8/10/06, Craig Box <craig@d...> wrote:
> Ian McDonald wrote:
> > Good news for us Linux users:
> >
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-6103941.html?part=rss&tag=6103941&subj=news
> >
> > Hopefully AMD/ATI and nvidia follow suit but don't hold your breath.
>
> (originally from)
> http://craig.dubculture.co.nz/blog/2006/08/10/open-source-graphics-drivers-p
> art-2/
>
> They've had open-source drivers for their hardware for some time: quoth the
> truely excellent Keith Packard:
>
>     Intel has made free software drivers available for all of its graphics
> adapters since the i810, so if it says 'Intel graphics' on the label, you
> can be sure that free software will support it.

Yes that's certainly true - I was using the i810 driver last millenium
from memory...

>     The release today adds support for the brand-new i965 chips which add
> advanced rendering capabilities to Intel's graphics adapters, including the
> ability to support OpenGL vertex shaders and hardware T&L. As far as I can
> tell, while the hardware has been announced, it's not yet available from
> retailers yet.

Yes I think this is the significance - true 3D support. They said in
the article that they are not yet available and wanted to release
drivers before product releases in future.
--
Ian McDonald
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4