University Crest

[wlug] Running from a USB drive

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Mon Aug 21 08:27:06 NZST 2006

Hi,

I have sucessfully installed XUbuntu Dapper onto an external USB disk
drive. I would like to be able to run it using this drive but the PC I
have does not have the option of booting from USB.

I understand that one solution to this is to create (or obtain) a custom
  boot floppy or CD, but I am wondering if it is possible to do it just
with the live/install CD by passing the right parameters at the boot prompt.

I tried pressing F6 and changing the root=/dev/ram to root=/dev/sda1 and
removing all the other stuff but that didn't work. It boots but still
runs from the CD.

If that approach is not possible then is there a small (we're still in
the DSL dark here) prebuilt iso that can be used to do this? I notice
that there is a mini.iso in the distribution which I understand has
something to do with network booting. Since that isn't too far removed
from what I wan't to do then would it possible to use that?

I have done some web searching for this but could only find the
instructions for making a custom boot floppy or CD.

Glenn

--
Glenn Ramsey <glenn@c...> 07 8627077
http://www.componic.co.nz