University Crest

[wlug] Skype working better for Linux

Ian McDonald ian.mcdonald@j...
Wed Jul 12 10:53:54 NZST 2006

Folks,

I'm meant to be making a Skype call at 5 am tomorrow (yeah!!) to talk
about Linux but I have had bad experiences with Skype previously with
sound working (or more to the point not!) and preferred not to use
Windows in case I need to look something up that I'm talking about.

Anyway I've now found that Skype for Linux has a new beta out which
now uses ALSA by default as the sound system instead of OSS. What this
means is that sound seems to "just work" now for me.

If you have had problems with Skype have a look at:
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/13beta.html

or:
http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/changelog.html

Still no webcam support yet but this is a big step forward for me at least.

Ian
--
Ian McDonald
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4