University Crest

[wlug] Upcoming elections and you...

Greig McGill greig@h...
Tue Sep 5 17:37:59 NZST 2006

Hi All,

It's been quite a while since I posted to this list.  I've been lurking.
  I'd just like to ask you all to do me a big favour...

For the last four years, the same very dedicated group of people have
served as the WLUG committee, give or take a couple of transient
members.  I'd like to say they've done a great job, especially as this
is the first year I've not been involved! ;)

The problem is that it's left to them.  I know from past experience that
there is a lot of complaining behind the scenes, in private emails, and
on irc about WLUG being run by an exclusive group who all know each
other, and make decisions without enough consultation.  That would be
fair criticism if anyone else ever stood for the committee besides this
dedicated bunch.

Please consider standing for the WLUG committee.  It doesn't require too
much effort.  You just need to be prepared to turn up to meetings
regularly, do any tasks that are required of you quickly (and there
aren't that many), and be good at reporting back to your fellow
committee members.  If you have good communication skills, and are a
reasonably motivated person, *please* put your name forward.

I'd like to think I'm not being hypocritical by not standing myself, I
did it for four years, the last as president.  I don't think it's unfair
of me to hope that others will put their name forward.  I've stepped
right back this year, hardly even attending meetings, as I've had other
priorities.  I'd also like to think that the current hard working
committee could do the same and not feel like if they do, nobody will
step up to fill their shoes.

Why does the WLUG even need a committee?  After all, other LUGs don't
have one.  Well, I think that WLUG has achieved more than all the other
LUGs in NZ put together.  We have a world class knowledge base in our
wiki, we have a great library, we have excellent knowledgeable
membership, we hold regular informative meetings with interesting
speakers, and we're just generally damn cool.  Not to mentions things
like installfests, software freedom days, and other such public advocacy
events.  WLUG rocks (I reckon).  Would all this have happened without
that same dedicated bunch pushing it along?  I don't think so.  Thank
you Lindsay, David, Craig, Ian, Perry, Matthias, and all the other
regular helpers, Matt, John, Daniel, and others.

Right, I've gone on enough.  Please consider standing for the 2006/2007
committee.  It's not too much work, and it makes a huge difference.

Cheers,

Greig McGill