University Crest

[wlug] the wlug and joinging

Jamie Curtis jamie@p...
Mon Sep 11 10:13:56 NZST 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Haldor Riddering wrote:

> hey guys and gals,
> I've been following this list for a few months now andh ave recently
> changed my laptop over to ubuntu and going to change my deskyop that way
> too though maybe another flavour of linux.

Feel free to have a play around with as many flavours of linux as you can
get your hands on, but eventually I'd strongly recommend picking one that
you are happy with, running multiple distros becomes a real nusance with
the slight differences between them and the double ups on security
updates etc.

> anyways the questions I have is: I would like to become a paying member
> of the wlug and mayeb come to some meetings to meet people and learn
> from them.
> how do I become a member and where and how often do you guys meet. I
> read parts of the wiki but am still confused.

We meet once a month, announced on the mailing list and wiki at least one
week in advance (well, we try !). Membership runs from AGM-AGM which is
good as this years AGM is comming up on the 2nd Oct. You simply fill in a
form and give us $20 and you've joined. This is all optional however, you
don't need to be a member to come to meetings, it just gives you a nice
warm happy feeling !

> also is there a map to where the building is at the uni?

 	http://www.wlug.org.nz/TW

If you need more detailed surroundings try either:

 	http://www.waikato.ac.nz/contacts/map.pdf

or smaps or zoomin.

> how long do meetings go for as well.

Vary, but somewhere between 1.5 - 2.5 hours

> I live in cambridge so will need to drive there and new to hamilton.

Meetings always start at the same time and are always in the same place,
so it's easy enough to predict when you'll need to leave. There may even
be some chance of a car pool with some other Cambridge members.

Cheers,

Jamie