University Crest

[wlug] Problem Installing Democracy Player

Dominic Tennant bnonn@o...
Thu Sep 14 22:14:08 NZST 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:34 +1000, Leslie Katz wrote:
> My current question, therefore, is how do I get into
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages copies of the dbus-python rpm's files
> that will work?

Hrmm, I'm afraid that's a bit beyond me. I'm not terribly familiar with
rpm-based distros any more (the last time I used FC was at FC2; after
that I switched to Ubuntu). I suspect that perhaps there's something
about DBUS on FC3 that isn't "good enough" for Democracy. I'd really
recommend, as the others have, upgrading.

> One last thing. Craig raised a wry smile on my face by telling me
> upgrading was good. I've been wanting to upgrade for ages, but I'm too
> afraid. What I really need is a step-by-step guide in words of one
> syllable, explaining to me how to prepare for an upgrade, so that, after
> upgrading, I'll still have all my current data, my applications that
> I've separately installed and my settings for my current applications.
> Without that security blanket, I feel I'm stuck with FC3 indefinitely.

Again, as mentioned, it should be as simple as sticking in an FC5 CD and
letting it run. However, you should obviously back up your data first.
Do you have a separate /home partition? This makes upgrading really
easy, because it's seldom that updates of apps are not backwards
compatible with their .files or .dirs which are stored in the /home dir.
I've fresh installed Ubuntu a couple of times in the last few weeks
(playing around with Edgy) and provided I run the set up correctly and
use the right username, I can log into Gnome from a fresh install and
have all my customizations already there. I just have to install some
additional applications. If you haven't got a separate home dir, though,
you could always simply cp -r everything to a USB drive and then reverse
the process once you've reinstalled.

Depends on your filesystem layout though. Maybe we should have another
InstallFest (: