University Crest

[wlug] Software Freedom Day Event

Lindsay Druett lindsay@w...
Sun Sep 17 19:47:50 NZST 2006

Hi There,

 From what I have seen and heard, the feedback has been awesome.

I'm still getting up to speed as to what other LUGs and other groups
have done to celebrate Software Freedom Day, but on the whole, from what
I have seen looking at the software freedom webpage, I feel very
confident to say that ours was world class and we gave awesome open
public exposure to open source software.

There are photos of the event that took place online, look at
http://softwarefreedomday.org/gallery/2006/gallery/2006/oceania/nz/hamilton

Thankyou all who got involved in making this event happen.

I would like to this opportunity to single out three people out who did
an outstandingly stunning job of making this happen...

Craig Box, Ian McDonald, and Bruce Kingsbury.  Without you guys, this
event would not have happened.

I would also like to thank Sue Kingsbury, Bruce's wife who supported
Bruce, and also Cairo and Destiny, Bruce's daughters, who took turns
dressing up as Tux, I think it was mostly Cairo.

And, I would also like to thank our supporters...

IT Partners (http://www.itpartners.co.nz/) for the loan of the computers
WAND Group (http://wand.cs.waikato.ac.nz/) for loan of  the TV and other
bits and pieces
Gateway Christian Centre (http://www.gateway-net.com/) for the loan of
the tables and chairs
Mystique Costume Hire who made the Tux Penguin Suit especially for us
and also Telecom, Centreplace/Downtown Plaza management.

Furthermore, I would also like to thank those who helped behind the
scenes, those who came on the day, demonstrated open source software and
shared their experiences with OSS, and also Ron Dean particularly, but
others who have taken photos of the event that has taken place.

I would like to take an opportunity to make comment that Open Source
Freedom day is about celebrating and putting a day aside to promote free
and open source software, however, it is not a day to be seen as a day
put aside, or a an event to be held on that day, where there is open
season to denigrate vendors, in particular Microsoft, who choose the
copyright and charge out a licence fee on a per user and/or per seat basis.

Hey, excellent work...

Regards,
Lindsay Druett,
WLUG President.