University Crest

[wlug] Ubuntu Local Community Team for New Zealand relaunched

Craig Box craig@d...
Fri Sep 22 09:25:32 NZST 2006

Ubuntu New Zealand: Local Community Team

Ever since the birth of computers, enthusiasts and fans around the world
have collected together in garages, universities and pubs to talk about
their interest, learn from each other and help promote their interest.
Combine this with the huge popularity of Ubuntu, and you get the Ubuntu
Local Community (LoCo) project.

A LoCo team is formed to help groups of Ubuntu fans and enthusiasts in a
particular region to help advocate, promote, translate, develop and
otherwise improve Ubuntu.

With the support of Jono Bacon, the Ubuntu Community Manager, and the
awesome AustralianTeam, we're launching a New Zealand team for Ubuntu
(http://ubuntu-nz.org/).

What's involved?
----------------

What would you like to be involved?  Activities other teams have engaged in
include, but are not limited to:

 * development & coaching new, interested contributors
 * regional customisation
 * translations
 * advocacy, both virtually and locally
 * CD & merchandise distribution
 * IRC support (or just hanging out)

There are no set goals for the team yet - it's entirely up to you, the new
members, to decide as a group what we should do.

Involvement in a LoCo is an easy way to get involved with the global Ubuntu
community for non-developers and developers alike. There are people involved
from many teams within Ubuntu who can help you gain useful skills for
further involvement if you are keen!

How can I get involved?