University Crest

[wlug] Is recording from an *.m3u stream possible?

Glyn Webster glyn@w...
Thu Apr 2 17:31:28 NZDT 2009

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 8:20:49 pm Simon Green wrote:
> Is the show available as a podcast? You could use a program such as
> gpodder (or amarok) to download the podcast and replay it at your
> leisure.

That's the way I like to do things, but in this case there aren't podcasts for every show.

> Failing that you could set up a cron using mencoder (part of
> mplayer, but a separate package in Debian and Ubuntu) to record the
> program, and use the endtime option to specific the length.

'mencoder' didn't seem to understand *.m3u playlists, but 'mplayer' did,
and it can record (maybe via 'mencoder'). The magic line seems to be:

mplayer -playlist WHEREVER.m3u -endpos HOWLONG -ao pcm:file=WHATEVER.wav -vc dummy -vo nul

(The last few options are what I've used to copy tracks off my CDs. I don't remember what they mean.)

I set it up to run with 'kcron' and it worked nicely!

Thanks!

--Glyn