University Crest

[wlug] comparing files

Peter Reutemann fracpete@w...
Mon Apr 6 10:16:49 NZST 2009

Hi there

If you ever had to check the differences between two files, e.g.,
patching files, you most likely came across "diff". diff's output may
be easy to parse for programs, but I personally prefer a graphical
view of the differences side-by-side. I just came across the article
"Linux GUI diff utilities a visual tour" covering quite a few tools
that allow you to visually compare two files. More tools are mentioned
in the comments (my personal favorite is KDiff3):

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/Linux-GUI-diff-utilities-a-visual-tour

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174