University Crest

[wlug] Making a movie from a series of images

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Tue Apr 14 11:55:46 NZST 2009

Hi,

For my study I use a piece of software that displays animated 3d models
and which can generate images for each frame of the animation.

I can make these image into an animated gif using ImageMagick's convert
or into an mpeg movie using ffmpeg, for use in a ppt presentation.

The mpeg has lots of compression artifacts (I guess because the images
are computer generated they have sharp colour gradients). The animated
gif looks  great, but is quite a large file.

There must be a way to make an movie that doesn't have the compression
artifacts as is done for screencast type movies.

I've done some web searching about this but I'm not sure what I'm
looking for. Can anyone suggest a way to do this or some search terms
that I could use?

Cheers
Glenn

--