University Crest

[wlug] DVD authoring...

Peter Reutemann fracpete@g...
Fri Apr 17 18:14:32 NZST 2009

> I tried following the instructions on that page, and was pleased to see
> that they worked.  The biggest problem I have is foreign characters ('é'
> for example) in the SRT file seem to get converted to UTF-8, so the
> video ends up having two weird characters taking the place of what
> should be there.  I found that using WINE Notepad seems to work just
> fine for foreign characters, so I guess I'll use that instead of Gedit.

Kate seems to support other encodings apart from UTF-8, like Windows'
Cp1252, as well:
  http://www.nabble.com/Change-encoding-like-in-Kate-td13646567.html
That would give you at least a decent editor. ;-)

BTW If you're creating the .srt file yourself, I can recommend
"gnome-subtitles" (http://gnome-subtitles.sourceforge.net/). I've done
only one English movie with that software, so not sure regarding
potential encoding problems.

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/           Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174