University Crest

[wlug] Rythmbox problem (partial solution

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Sun Apr 26 20:10:52 NZST 2009

jaytee@c... wrote:
> I just opened firefox and did tools/pageinfo/media down to
> the link Peter sent me. I copied the link into the browser
> and "Voila" it played. My friend was at a windows computer
> playing the same stream as I but his was playing 20/30
> seconds ahead of my stream for some reason???????? Any
> helpful comments appreciated.
> Regards   John

Different applications have different levels of buffering, which in turn
delays the stream from live by however large the buffer is. A larger
buffer will deal with network issues (packet loss, jitter etc) better,
but will give a larger absolute delay from the "live" feed.

If you actually care, you can try tweaking the buffer settings (I don't
know where you'd look though, sorry). Of course, if you're ever in a
situation where you can hear both instances of it, why not just turn one
off and only listen to the other one? ;)