University Crest

[wlug] Seagate USB External Hard Drive

John McPherson jrm@w...
Wed Oct 14 16:36:24 NZDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:11:02PM +1300, Glenn Stuart Morrissey wrote:

> Ive run fdisk but nothing comes up.
> Ive tried fdisk /dev/usb but I get:
>
> glenn@g...:unable to open /dev/usb/
>
> How can I find out what /dev/ to specify with fdisk?
>
> All the darn drive just wants to do is beep.

Hi,
is it a Seagate Free Agent? Some of the models had a problem with power
management - they relied on something that Windows did, and as a result,
they go into low-power mode after 15 minutes in Linux regardless of if
you access the drive or not.

Assuming that's the problem, and it's not faulty hardware, you can
disable the drive's power-saving under linux with the sdparm utility. Eg
if you know the hard drive is /dev/sdc, you can do

  sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sdc

as root, or

  sudo sdparm --clear STANDBY -6 /dev/sdc

if you aren't logged in with the root account.

To find the correct /dev device, assuming it's not faulty hardware that
isn't being seen, you could try

  dmesg | less

and looking near the end, or searching for "Seagate" (type /Seagate with
the slash when in less)

John