University Crest

[wlug] REMINDER: WLUG meeting is tomorrow!

Bruce Kingsbury zcat@z...
Fri May 6 07:49:07 NZST 2011

Oh dear..

If you like, I can organise a Saturday workshop at Te Whare O Te Ata pretty
easily. The room is not as big as we had last year but it'd probably do if
we're careful about how we use the space. Also there's only a few tables.
I'll ask around and see if we can get some more.
http://fairfieldcommunity.org.nz/

Also I have an ongoing 'internet cafe / drop in open learning' session every
Wednesday and Thurdsay, 3pm to 6pm. It's intended as a service for the
Fairfield and Chartwell community so I don't really want it becoming a WLUG
workshop every week but I would be interested if anyone wants to volunteer
running it the same hours on other days.

The setup is six donated (slightly underpowered and sometimes unreliable)
computers running ubuntu 10.04, with internet provided by a server in the
office running squid and dansguardian.

I'm also open to helping people with Windows problems, as long as they're
willing to consider suggestions of Free software at the same time. Yesterday
I solved someone's Windows problems by installing Linux Mint for them, they
went home very happy. But I would not expect other volunteers to do anything
more than supervise and help people with questions about the internet,
Libreoffice and other common software.