University Crest

[wlug] Oneric Oncelot

Chris O'Halloran cmoman@g...
Wed Oct 19 18:15:07 NZDT 2011

Greetings all,

I'm just writing to find out how people have gone with their Oneric Oncelot
upgrade.

I upgraded my laptop to the latest Ubuntu [1] or more correctly Kubuntu [2].

The three issues that I have encountered so far are:

   1. the power management means the laptop no longer turns off via the
   normal interface. I have to use the power reset button to turn the laptop
   off
   2. the second issue which has now resolved involved a number of attempts
   at migrating my mail across to the new akonandi set up.
   3. the third issue I've encountered is that the laptop takes a very long
   time to get to a usable desktop after logging in via kdm

Overall, kubuntu is getting more polished now at release 4.7.1. it will be
interesting to see how the new database driven personal information manager
(PIM) works.

As a means of generating some discussion, I thought I would invite others to
outline some of the issues they have had in upgrading.

So, how has gone for you?

We will be announcing an AGM shortly. This is to vote on the committee
members for next year. John Billings will be stepping down as club treasurer
since he is moving to Wellington. Prior to the AGM Ronnie will be taking
over the role of treasurer.

If you are interested in taking on a role within the committee please
contact me in the coming weeks. If you feel someone would be good for the
role, perhaps nudged them and see if they might be interested in standing.

Finally, as club president I am inviting anyone interested in presenting a
pet topic to contact me for our next wlug Monday meeting. The meeting is
scheduled for October 31.

Please contact me off list if you are interested.

As an aside, I am writing this e-mail using DragonDictate. It is working
pretty well. I broke a bone in my hand last weekend and I cannot type at
present.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

http://www.ubuntu.com/