University Crest

[wlug] Oneric Oncelot

Sandy sandwalker@g...
Sun Oct 23 10:58:45 NZDT 2011

I performed an upgrade this morning, and have so far had several issues that are
driving me nuts.

First off, after I logged in for the first I found that I had no panels --
gnome-panel (and its dependencies) hadn't been installed.  Upon installing them,
I found I had a weird mix of GNOME 2 and 3 in its looks.  My launchers in the
panel were gone, as were the sensor/CPU scaling applets (lm-sensor hadn't been
installed).  I had to install the DVD playback support again (though I guess
that's not surprising).  I can/not/ change the default media player from Banshee
to Totem, even though I've changed that setting.  Also, Banshee still disappears
when I click its close button, so I end up with a song playing from nowhere; I
have to kill it from the System Monitor.  And now I've found that when a new
disk is inserted (e.g. CD, DVD, USB) they don't appear on the desktop.

I'm serious considering a fresh install, rather than an upgrade; it might work
better.  Then again, it might pick up the old settings from the hidden folders
in my /home directory.

Anyone else had these (or similar) problems?

Sandy