University Crest

[wlug] Oneric Oncelot

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Sun Oct 23 12:29:29 NZDT 2011

On 20/10/11 11:00, Glenn Ramsey wrote:
> On 19/10/11 18:15, Chris O'Halloran wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I'm just writing to find out how people have gone with their Oneric Oncelot
>> upgrade.
>
> The upgrade failed on one of my PCs because there wasn't enough free disk space.
> It wanted about 2 Gb, but the machine only has a 10 Gb drive and has about 1.7
> Gb free. There is almost no data on this machine as it is mainly used as a VNC
> client and for web browsing. I guess I could do some pruning, but it's probably
> easier to get a bigger drive.

I did some pruning, removed a few old kernel images and some games that no-one
plays and the upgrade succeeded. So far I haven't noticed any problems, except
that the desktop is now different. I assume it's unity, which I also assume is a
feature not a bug :-). This probably won't be a problem, the other users of this
machine (wife and daughter) have not complained yet, but I was surprised by the
change because in the previous release unity had not worked at all so I had set
it to use the gnome desktop. I didn't expect the upgrade to override that setting.

Glenn

--
Glenn Ramsey <glenn@c...> 09 9735603
http://www.componic.co.nz