University Crest

[wlug] SteamOS 1.0 is Here, Based on Debian 7.1

Peter Reutemann fracpete@w...
Mon Dec 30 08:08:25 NZDT 2013

> 'SteamOS 1.0 was made available for download today through Valve-owned
> steampowered.com. In the SteamOS FAQ, we discover that SteamOS 1.0 is
> based on Debian 7.1 stable. Some of the changes for Steam include
> backporting eglibc 2.17 from Debian testing, updating the kernel to
> 3.10.11, and auto-updates from the Valve SteamOS repos. Valve chose
> Debian because they felt it "is the best way for Valve to deliver a
> fully custom SteamOS experience" to its customers.'

"How to Install SteamOS and Configure Wifi and Audio

Most people in the desktop gaming world are familiar with Valve's
Steam service. Last year they added a new feature to the regular
desktop app called Big Picture. This newer interface for Steam is
intended to be more TV and controller friendly while still being
perfectly usable with a traditional mouse and keyboard. This year
Valve announced its new Steam Machine, which will bring a Big
Picture-type interface into a stand-alone entertainment system."

-- source: http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/753759-how-to-install-and-configure-steamos

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cms.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/          Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174