University Crest

[wlug] Boosting awareness of Open Source Software?

Wolfgang wv99999@g...
Mon Jul 15 09:23:16 NZST 2013

To me, capturing and processing gigabyte after gigabyte of data per
second appears more like a game played by children. They do it because
they can. You do not expect children to be more that that, but what
about politicians and their dependants, security services?

Once captured, what do you do with the data? To make them available to
humans, you have to reduce the data rate to mere bytes per second, as
that is all a human decision maker can handle. And during that process,
the data get distorted inevitably to such a degree that they are useless
anyway . . .
Examples:
1. take a 10MByte photo and jpeg-compress it to 10 byte. How
recognizable is that photo after compression? . . .
2. weather report: to make a reasonable forecast, how big a computer do
you need, and how accurate is the forecast going to be? Even with the
biggest machines available currently, localized storm cells get
overlooked, and nothing can be done to alert emergency services beforehand.
3. Did data processing prevent the Boston Bombings or the London attack
on a serviceman? The culprits were known to the security services
beforehand and under surveillance . . .

As long as the data processing rate inside a human brain is way higher
than what the same human acquires through his / her senses (=10 billion
neurons times 300 firings per second = 3.10^11 bit per second) than its
data acquisition rate (<3 MegaBit/second for the visual system (optical
nerve constraint), a few kilobit/second for the auditory system and a
few byte/second for spoken communications), humans can, and will be,
unpredictable to other humans. If you restrict input to a (smallish)
finite number and consider the consequences of rounding associated with
it, Gödel's Decidability Theorem restricts the conclusions you can draw
so severely that at the huge data compression rates, which these
"Security Service Children" play with, make the data themselves useless
- to humans, because of the limited input rate a human has and the huge
effect error propagation builds up to

Wolfgang Vogelbein.