University Crest

[wlug] Linus Torvalds worries about how Linux will handle end of Moore’s Law

Peter Reutemann fracpete@w...
Fri Sep 20 09:11:53 NZST 2013

'Perhaps the most hotly anticipated event at LinuxCon was this
morning's kernel developer panel featuring none other than Linux
creator Linus Torvalds.

In the panel, Torvalds said he's worried the possible end of Moore's
Law might finally be within sight, providing challenges to both
hardware and software developers.

"On the five- to 10-year timeframe scale, I'm very interested to see
how the industry actually reacts to the fact that soon we will come
against some physical limits," Torvalds said. "People used to be
talking about having thousands of cores on one die because it keeps
shrinking, and those people clearly have no idea about physics because
we won't be shrinking for much longer."'

-- source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/linus-torvalds-worries-about-how-linux-will-handle-the-end-of-moores-law/

Cheers, Peter
http://www.cms.waikato.ac.nz/~fracpete/          Ph. +64 (7) 858-5174