University Crest

[wlug] Linus Torvalds worries about how Linux will handle end of Moore’s Law

David McNab david@r...
Tue Sep 24 19:54:09 NZST 2013

On 20/09/13 09:11, Peter Reutemann wrote:
> 'Perhaps the most hotly anticipated event at LinuxCon was this
> morning's kernel developer panel featuring none other than Linux
> creator Linus Torvalds.

Moore's Law has been an exponential phenomenon, exceeded only by the
rate of increase of CPU, memory and disk-sucking bloat in the software.

It's always annoyed me to put down hard cash on fresh hardware, then
enjoy reasonably good performance for a year or so, only to have the
self-same hardware slow down to the point of near-uselessness, more and
more with each software upgrade.

The end of Moore's Law might not be a bad thing. For one thing, it will
bring in a new era of optimisation. For another, it will have positive
environmental effects, with more computation per kilowatt hour, and less
hardware turnover. It will push developers into giving their stacks a
good cleanout, refurbishing them into simple and elegant frameworks,
rather than adding yet more resource-wasting layers.

Cheers
David