University Crest

[wlug] Middle-Click Paste? Not For Long

Michael Cree mcree@o...
Wed Sep 25 10:11:40 NZST 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 09:35:00AM +1200, Peter Reutemann wrote:
> "Select to copy and middle-click to paste. That's very convenient
> usability feature associated with UNIX graphical environments. But it
> is confusing for new users, so the ability to middle-click paste was
> briefly removed from GNOME 3.10. It was restored few days later, but
> with clear message: middle-click paste will be permanently removed
> from next GNOME version."
>
> Man, that's one of my favorite feature!!

Indeed, it is a fantastic feature!

It is quite clear that Gnome is no longer interested in the traditional
Linux user, but is now aiming at a different clientele.  While I had been
a long time Gnome user, I now find Gnome has gone in a direction that just
does not interest me, so I am no longer a Gnome user.  Hopefully more
traditional desktops do not follow the middle mouse button feature drop,
otherwise I shall be extremely disappointed, to the point I would consider
re-implementing it for my own desktop.

Cheers
Michael.