University Crest

[wlug] Software Freedom Conservancy: Distributing Linux With ZFS Is Illegal

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo@g...
Fri Feb 26 11:17:12 NZDT 2016

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:17:15 +1300, Peter Reutemann wrote:

> 'Phoronix reports that Bradley M. Kuhn and Karen M. Sandler at the
> Software Freedom Conservancy (SFS) have posted a blog post today
> arguing that Canonical's plan to distribute Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial
> Xerus" with support for the ZFS file system violates the Linux
> kernel's GPLv2 license.'
>
> -- source: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/02/25/1846230

It is worth reading the actual blog post
<https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2016/feb/25/zfs-and-linux/>:

    While this violation has many facets, and Oracle did not themselves
    violate GPL in this specific case, they hold the keys to this
    particular kingdom and they forbid the Linux community to enter.
    While there are complexities that we must address, in this context,
    Oracle could make everyone's life easier by waving their magic
    relicensing wand. Nevertheless, until they do, since
    GPL-incompatible licenses are the root of all GPL violations,
    combinations of GPL'd code with Oracle's GPL-incompatible code
    yield GPL violations, such as the ongoing violation by Canonical,
    Ltd.