University Crest

[wlug] Mageia 6: is it the rise of Phoenix?

Peter Reutemann fracpete@w...
Thu Aug 17 14:04:07 NZST 2017

'There is no secret that I always preferred distributions with the DEB
package format. However, there is an exception. Mageia was the
distribution that I ran for quite long time on various laptops.
Unfortunately, the issues with outdated packages made me leave this
distribution behind some time ago.

Just as a reminder, Mageia is an off-spring from the famous Mandriva
family that survived when the Mandriva tree crashed.

And to fill out the whole forest, OpenMandriva is another off-spring,
and my recent test showed that it is far below the mother quality.

Coming back to Mageia, it has been a long time since the previous
version of this operating system was released. Mageia 5.0 was the
“most recent release” for 1.5 years, and 5.1 was merely an update to
it.

Mageia 6 was released just few weeks ago, in July 2017. It is a good
time to check it out now.'

-- source: http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2017/08/mageia-6-is-it-rise-of-phoenix.html

Cheers, Peter
--