University Crest

[wlug] Two-Thirds of Android Antivirus Apps Are Total BS

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo@g...
Thu Mar 14 14:30:15 NZDT 2019

On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 13:06:23 +1300, Peter Reutemann quoted:

> '"The main purpose
> of these apps seems to be generating easy revenue for their
> developers, rather than actually protecting their users," the
> AV-Comparatives report said'

I remember thinking something like this some years ago, when I saw the
name of a certain developer, who had contributed articles on Android
development to a local magazine, on about half a dozen different
exercise apps in the Play Store, each for a different exercise.

So Android is to mobile what Windows is to the desktop (that includes
the bad senses). Yes, the difference is that the core of the former is
Open Source; is that enough to make it much better?
<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/>