University Crest

[wlug] Refuse To Be Terrorized

Lawrence D'Oliveiro ldo@g...
Tue Mar 26 20:29:04 NZDT 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 21:10:46 +1300, I wrote:

> I hope we learn the right lessons from others who have been here
> before us, and not repeat too many of their mistakes.

And here goes one of them
<https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12216367>:

    If our spies were able to carry out mass surveillance, would the
    alleged mosque murderer have been stopped?

    It's a question raised by National leader Simon Bridges and one
    which has been dismissed by those with expertise in security
    intelligence.

But that’s not stopping him from saying:

    "But we can say with the significantly heightened risks we face
    today than we realised, it would make us safer."

At least some people realize that merely collecting more information
isn’t really very helpful. Dr Rhys Ball, formerly of the NZSIS, says:

    "If you want to, you can collect everything that is in the aether
    tomorrow if you were going to invest the resource to do so ... The
    downside is, how do you process that? I'm not aware of the
    Batcomputer being invented yet."

Nice to see a fairly evenhanded report on the issue, that does not
uncritically assume that surveilling people en masse will catch the
crims.